Tips for searching:
• You have to select a product and type at least 2 words to activate the search
• Use only words that are specific to the information you are looking for
• Avoid typing questions or sentences
Please do not use this field to report adverse events or product complaints. Adverse events and product complaints should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow card in the Google play or Apple app store. Adverse events and product complaints should also be reported to Lilly: please call Lilly UK on 01256 315 000.
Taltz ® (ixekizumab)
This information is intended for UK registered healthcare professionals only as a scientific exchange in response to your search for information. For current prescribing information for all Lilly products, including Summaries of Product Characteristics, Patient Information Leaflets and Instructions for Use, please visit: www.medicines.org.uk (England, Scotland, Wales) or www.emcmedicines.com/en-GB/northernireland/ (Northern Ireland).
Taltz® (ixekizumab): Needle information
The needle on both the pre-filled pen and pre-filled syringe is sterile, permanently attached and cannot be removed. Do not touch the needle.
What are the specifications of the needle on the pre-filled pen and syringe?
Taltz comes with a 27 gauge (thin wall) x 12.7 mm permanently built-in needle. The needle cannot be removed or replaced with another type of needle.
Both the Taltz pre-filled pen and the prefilled syringe contain the same internal glass syringe component. 1
- The pre-filled pen has a staked hidden needle. Therefore, it will not work with safety shields for needles.
- Lilly did not test and cannot recommend the usage of safety needle shields with the pre-filled syringe.1
- The needle on the Taltz pre-filled pen is set to inject to approximately 5.5 mm.
- The injection depth on the Taltz pre-filled syringe is controlled by the user. 1
The needle is made of stainless steel that contains nickel.
The needle is covered with silicon (lubrication for injection comfort).1
How can the user avoid damaging the needle on the prefilled pen?
The user should
- ensure the lock ring is in the lock position
- leave the base cap on until they are ready to inject
- NOT touch the needle.
Once the dose is ready to inject, the user should
- twist off the base cap, and
- throw the base cap in the bin.
The user will not need to put the base cap back on—doing so could damage the needle or cause injury by accident.3
Please find below a link to a short video that demonstrates how the user can avoid damaging the needle.
1Data on file, Eli Lilly and Company and/or one of its subsidiaries.
2Taltz [patient information leaflet]. Eli Lilly and Company (Ireland) Limited, Ireland
3Taltz 80 mg solution for injection in pre-filled pen [Instructions for use]. Eli Lilly and Company (Ireland) Limited, Ireland
Date of Last Review: 31 March 2022