Tips for searching:
• You have to select a product and type at least 2 words to activate the search
• Use only words that are specific to the information you are looking for
• Avoid typing questions or sentences
Please do not use this field to report adverse events or product complaints. Adverse events and product complaints should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow card in the Google play or Apple app store. Adverse events and product complaints should also be reported to Lilly: please call Lilly UK on 01256 315 000.
Emgality ® ▼ (galcanezumab)
This information is intended for UK registered healthcare professionals only as a scientific exchange in response to your search for information. For current prescribing information for all Lilly products, including Summaries of Product Characteristics, Patient Information Leaflets and Instructions for Use, please visit: www.medicines.org.uk (England, Scotland, Wales) or www.emcmedicines.com/en-GB/northernireland/ (Northern Ireland).
How to administer a dose of Emgality® (galcanezumab)
Keep the base cap on until the dose is ready to be injected. Unlock the pen only after it has been placed against the skin and ready to be injected. Remove the pen from the skin after the second click has been heard.
Directions for use
Uncap the pen
- Make sure the pen is locked. Leave the base cap on until the dose is ready to be injected.
- When ready to inject, twist off the base cap and throw it away in the bin.
- Do not put the base cap back on – this could damage the needle.
- Do not touch the needle.1
Place and unlock
- Place and hold the clear base flat and firmly against the skin.
- Turn the lock ring to the unlock position.1
Press and hold
- Press and hold the teal injection button; a loud click will be heard.
- Keep holding the clear base firmly against the skin. A second click will be heard about 5 to 10 seconds after the first one. This second click confirms the injection is complete.
- Remove the pen from the skin.1
When is the injection complete?
After pressing the teal injection button, 2 loud clicks will be heard.
- The first click will be heard after pressing and holding the injection button;
- A second click will be heard about 5 to 10 seconds after the first one.
- This second click confirms that the injection is complete. 2
The injection is complete when the grey plunger can be seen at the top of the clear base. 2
What if more than 2 clicks are heard during the injection?
2 loud clicks and a soft one. Is the injection complete?
Some patients may hear a soft click right before the second loud click. That is normal operation of the pen. The pen should not be removed from the skin until the second loud click is heard.2
Patients with vision or hearing problems should not use the pen without help from a caregiver.2
How to confirm a dose has been injected
Please find below a short video demonstrating how to administer a dose and what audible and visual signals the user will hear and see that will help confirm the dose of galcanezumab has been successfully administered.
1Emgality [instructions for use, pre-filled pen]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
2Emgality [instructions for use]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
▼ This medicinal product is subject to additional monitoring. This will allow quick identification of new safety information. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions.
Date of Last Review: 06 December 2021