Tips for searching:
• You have to select a product and type at least 2 words to activate the search
• Use only words that are specific to the information you are looking for
• Avoid typing questions or sentences
Please do not use this field to report adverse events or product complaints. Adverse events and product complaints should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow card in the Google play or Apple app store. Adverse events and product complaints should also be reported to Lilly: please call Lilly UK on 01256 315 000.
Humalog ® (insulin lispro)
This information is intended for UK registered healthcare professionals only as a scientific exchange in response to your search for information. For current prescribing information for all Lilly products, including Summaries of Product Characteristics, Patient Information Leaflets and Instructions for Use, please visit: www.medicines.org.uk (England, Scotland, Wales) or www.emcmedicines.com/en-GB/northernireland/ (Northern Ireland).
How should Humalog® (insulin lispro) be stored during transport and travel?
Store unused/ before use Humalog at 2°C - 8°C, during transport or when travelling. Do not freeze. After the first use, store at room temperature below 30°C. Protect from light.
When travelling (e.g., plane, car, bus, train), place the medicine in hand luggage because temperatures in the luggage hold areas may be too cold or too hot for the medicine.1
Travel cooler bags
Eli Lilly and Company does not provide cooler bags to travel with insulin, and does not test, market or sell these products. Therefore, we cannot make recommendations.1
If a cooler is used, it is important to
- prevent freezing of the insulin, i.e. to keep the device away from direct contact with ice, frozen gel packs or freezing temperatures (0°C or below), and
- protect the products from moisture (i.e. melting ice, condensation).1
Air travel and security check
Before travelling, the patient should enquire from the airline company about current travel policies for travelling with medicine on board the plane.
X-ray machines used at airport security checkpoints are not known to affect everyday items like food, medicines and cosmetics, frequently x-rayed in carry-on luggage. Therefore, it is not necessary to have the medicine inspected by hand.1
At customs, patients need to be prepared to explain why they are carrying their medicines.
Patients travelling internationally should check with the authorities in the country they plan to visit, particularly if travel is outside European Union.
Recommended storage conditions
Before use (vial, cartridge, pre-filled pen)
- Store in a refrigerator (2°C - 8°C).
- Do not freeze.
- Do not expose to excessive heat or direct sunlight.2-5
After first use (in use)
- Store in the refrigerator (2°C - 8°C) or below 30°C.
- Store in the original carton to protect from light.1-3
For cartridges, after first use or cartridge insertion
- Store the cartridge below 30°C.
- Do not refrigerate.
- Do not store the pen with the needle attached.
- Keep the cap when a dose is not being administered in order to protect from light.1-4
For the pre-filled pens
- Store the pre-filled pen below 30°C.
- Do not refrigerate.
- Do not store the pre-filled pen with the needle attached.
- Keep the cap on when a dose is not being administered in order to protect from light.1-5
The shelf life after first use / after cartridge insertion is 28 days.2-5
Which insulin does this answer apply to?
1Data on file, Eli Lilly and Company and/or one of its subsidiaries.
2Humalog [summary of product characteristics]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
3Humalog Mix25 [summary of product characteristics]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
4Humalog Mix50 [summary of product characteristics]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
5Humalog 200 units/ml KwikPen [summary of product characteristics]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
Date of Last Review: 08 February 2022