Tips for searching:
• You have to select a product and type at least 2 words to activate the search
• Use only words that are specific to the information you are looking for
• Avoid typing questions or sentences
Please do not use this field to report adverse events or product complaints. Adverse events and product complaints should be reported. Reporting forms and information can be found at www.mhra.gov.uk/yellowcard or search for MHRA Yellow card in the Google play or Apple app store. Adverse events and product complaints should also be reported to Lilly: please call Lilly UK on 01256 315 000.
Emgality ® ▼ (galcanezumab)
This information is intended for UK registered healthcare professionals only as a scientific exchange in response to your search for information. For current prescribing information for all Lilly products, including Summaries of Product Characteristics, Patient Information Leaflets and Instructions for Use, please visit: www.medicines.org.uk (England, Scotland, Wales) or www.emcmedicines.com/en-GB/northernireland/ (Northern Ireland).
Emgality® (galcanezumab) Pen: Information on Cap Removal
The base cap should be left on until the patient is ready to inject.
How should the user uncap the pen?
Make sure the pen is locked. Leave the base cap on until you are ready to inject.
- When you are ready to inject, twist off the base cap and throw it away in the bin.
- Do not put the base cap back on – this could damage the needle.
- Do not touch the needle.1
What if the base cap is accidentally removed?
The medicine must be injected immediately after the base cap is removed. The base cap should not be removed until ready to inject the dose. The reasons are as follows:
- If the base cap is removed and the injection is not given immediately, the medicine can dry in the needle pathway. This can cause the needle to clog and the pen will not deliver the dose.
- The base cap keeps the needle sterile and protects the patient from an accidental needlestick. The pen should not be stored without the base cap on it because dirt or bacteria can get into the needle.2
If the base cap was removed and it is not time for the injection, the pen should be disposed and a new one should be used.2
What if the pen is unlocked and the teal-coloured injection button is pressed with the base cap still on?
The base cap should not be removed. The pen should be disposed and a new one should be used.1
1Emgality [instructions for use]. Eli Lilly Nederland B.V., The Netherlands.
2Data on file, Eli Lilly and Company and/or one of its subsidiaries.
▼ This medicinal product is subject to additional monitoring. This will allow quick identification of new safety information. Healthcare professionals are asked to report any suspected adverse reactions.
Date of Last Review: 24 December 2021